Patriot Resistance Forum
Patriot Resistance Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Patriot Resistance Forum

Community for PatriotResistance.com Members

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Latest topics
» Intell wanted
Medical Information EmptySun May 10, 2015 8:37 pm by Blackout

» Maryland Patriot
Medical Information EmptySun May 10, 2015 10:22 am by Blackout

» New Member from S. California
Medical Information EmptyWed Apr 29, 2015 11:39 pm by Stompit

» Oklahoma here
Medical Information EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 2:43 pm by Bill Hester

» Greetings From Kansas
Medical Information EmptyMon Mar 02, 2015 11:21 pm by Delta_Wolf

» New member from Arizona
Medical Information EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 2:49 pm by heathenharry

» New member from Virginia
Medical Information EmptySat Dec 27, 2014 6:58 am by Will20

» greetings from Maine!
Medical Information EmptySat Oct 11, 2014 11:10 am by toekneesee

» New Patriot from northern Nevada
Medical Information EmptySat Sep 13, 2014 3:23 pm by CLRedmond

» Greetings from Kentucky
Medical Information EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 8:03 am by jsteelpatriot

» Is this the beginning of gun control? 22 LR
Medical Information EmptyWed Jul 16, 2014 1:31 am by Dreams_pettling

» excellent hunting and defensive / offensive weapon
Medical Information EmptyWed Jul 16, 2014 1:15 am by Dreams_pettling

» rugged models
Medical Information EmptyWed Jul 16, 2014 12:17 am by Dreams_pettling

» Greetings, brothers.
Medical Information EmptyThu Jul 03, 2014 7:54 pm by St42s0n

» Hello to all members!
Medical Information EmptyFri May 16, 2014 3:51 am by Kyria

Medical Information

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
militiamedic
Defender
Defender
militiamedic

Medical Information Empty
PostSubject: Medical Information   Medical Information EmptySun Aug 01, 2010 3:09 pm

Hey Patriots, I'm the Senior Medic from the Cowley County Kansas Watchmen and just wanted to let everyone know that I have posted alot of useful medical info in the Kansas Watchmen of Cowley County forum and wanted to make it available to all Medics throughout the Militia network to help others who are getting started and may not have much in place as far as medical is concerned. Feel free to tailor these subjects to your own units needs if necessarry. I am a former Marine (1983-1990) and Navy Corpsman (1991-1993) who operated under Marine Corps regulations and currently a Paramedic / Firefighter for a full time department in South Central Kansas. I sincerely hope that this is helpful to all in a time of need.

Semper Fi Patriots

Doc C.
Back to top Go down
http://watchmenofkansas.com/
FREEBYRD
Admin
Admin
FREEBYRD

PostSubject: Thank You   Medical Information EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 2:41 pm

Thank You very much for your contributions in the medical area.

I feel this is one of the most important areas that most groups seem to neglect, but
it is ALL important. We have to face the facts that at some point some of us just
may get a cap in our ass, or the guy next to us. It is important to know WHAT we need
to carry as well as HOW TO USE IT.

We appreciate ALL your information DOC and I encourage EVERYONE
to get over there and soak this info up like a sponge and then start
getting together the things you need.

I will be preparing custom built IFAK'S (Individual First Aid Kits) for purchase at
BIG discounts to WATCHMEN Members and making them available to anyone
who is interested. Contact me

Thank You Doc

M.Freebyrd

Back to top Go down
http://www.patriotresistance.com

PostSubject: Re: Medical Information   Medical Information EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 9:26 pm

Hey Medic

Take a look at my video on first aid supplies. I am missing the quick-clot (powder not sponge)
Any suggestions?

Back to top Go down
militiamedic
Defender
Defender
militiamedic

PostSubject: Re: Medical Information   Medical Information EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 10:24 am

Freebyrd and Franke

I sincerely appreciate your kind remarks and wnat you to know that it is encouraging to see this brotherhood and sisterhood of Patriots getting started. Thank you for all your hard work to put this all together.

To Franke, forgive me, but I am not sure where this 1st aid video is that you would like me to view.

To Freebyrd, when you build the IFAK kits, as far as the OTC meds go [(Over the Counter) meds (1 small bottle each of Ibuprofen, Benadryl (allergy medication known as diphenhydramine), Anti-Diarrhea, small tube of triple anti-biotic ointment and Cranberry 1680 mg soft gel capsules.) And any other things you feel you may need for field comfort] it might be better to have everyone purchase these on their own so that you do not have to stock any meds and worry about expiration dates. Also here is a link for the dental kits (dont know of anyone else who is selling these).

As far as everything else goes, there is a hundred vendors on the internet, it's just a matter of finding a good deal. Also, for the Nasopharyngeal airway and the Oropharyngeal airway, these are items that individual unit Medics will have to help people find their correct size, but if you want to do a general issue, a good general Naso size is a 28 or 30 fr and for the Oro is a size 10, 11 and 12. Maybe you could offer kits with the different individual sizes so that when unit Medics have a chance to size their own individual personel, they can just buy the correct size with their kit. Just a thought.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Semper Fi Brothers

Doc C.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Medical Information   Medical Information EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 12:02 pm

MilitiaMedic:

The video can be found here:
Back to top Go down
militiamedic
Defender
Defender
militiamedic

PostSubject: Re: Medical Information   Medical Information EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 2:12 pm

Franke, yes sir, I would in addition to what you have listed already to include at least a small 25 gram package of qwik clot. Surprisingly, a small amount of qwik clot will go along ways for most injuries that you will encounter in the field excpt for major GSW's which require surgical intervention for repair. Otherwise, it looks like you have a pretty good setup going there.

Doc C.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Medical Information   Medical Information EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 2:16 pm

Thanks Doc

yeah--I have beenbusting ass trying to find the quick clot around Anchorage--but no luck. Plenty of the quick clot sponges, but no powder.
Zee medical has some powder, but they are a little pricy.

One of the guys that i am trying to get into my group here, is a EMT instructor for the FD , and I have asked him for help with this.

I cross trained as a 95B when i was a low life boonierat ...
Back to top Go down
militiamedic
Defender
Defender
militiamedic

PostSubject: Re: Medical Information   Medical Information EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 2:42 pm

Sorry to say Franke, that after doing some research on the internet, all we can get anymore is the sponge form of quik clot. Although that may be disapointing, the sponge form does work if done properly. Hope that helps.

Doc C.
Back to top Go down
militiamedic
Defender
Defender
militiamedic

PostSubject: Re: Medical Information   Medical Information EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 9:33 am

Freebyrd, here are a few links to some good sites for the IFAK kits that you want to build for everyone.

Back to top Go down
Defender
Defender

PostSubject: Generic Quik Clot   Medical Information EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 12:06 pm

Maybe this will help you out Franke
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Medical Information   Medical Information EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 12:51 pm

mistermisfit wrote:

Maybe this will help you out Franke

Oh Hell YES--
i will be ordering some right away.
Thanks bunch for the heads up on this.

Back to top Go down
militiamedic
Defender
Defender
militiamedic

PostSubject: DeRoyal Multidex Gel/Powder Maltodextrin Hydrophilic Wound Dressing   Medical Information EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 10:05 am

Hey all, not tryin to step on anyones toes here and I am grateful for the additional information posted as there is always some great new stuff hitting the market, but please understand that the product listed by mistermisfit is not a blood coagulating product, but it does appear to be one hell of an antibiotic and wound dressing after gross debridement has been accompished. Also, plain white granulated table sugar will do the same thing as far as keeping infection at bay and promoting healthy tissue growth in wounds, but is a little more difficult to carry and keep dry in your pack vs. this product. Does not look like too bad of a price either for the amount the you get. Again, not tryin to ruffle feathers here, just want everyone to be informed.

Semper Fi

Doc C.
Back to top Go down
Defender
Defender

PostSubject: re militiamedic   Medical Information EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 10:16 am

No worries. Not stepping on any toes here.

I am not a huge fan of quik-clot powders. Too much of a chance of the clotting agent forming clots elsewhere in the body. Bigger believer in direct pressure and bandages. Its a good product just IMO I prefer other products.

Keep up the great work, militiamedic.
Back to top Go down
militiamedic
Defender
Defender
militiamedic

PostSubject: Re: Medical Information   Medical Information EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 10:40 am

Totally understand where you're commin from brother. I'm a firm beliver also that direct pressure and pressure bandages will control most bleeding and the quik clot stuff is way after my time as being a Marine Doc. From what I understand though, the Marines are having very good success with this stuff in Iraq and Afghanistan. Again, I've never personally used the stuff and I am of the mind set that if the wound is extensive enough, only surgical intervention is going to be able to repair the major artery or vein involved. Have talked to alot of vets returning from the big sandbox though and they seem to swear by the stuff and have not heard any complaints from any trauma surgeons either. Bottom line is that in a TEOTWAWKI situation, this may be the only alternative to control bleeding in areas that a touriquet cannot be applied (ex. abdominal, neck wounds) I would also say it is going to have to be a judgement call on the medics part as to how they are going to treat their patient as to how they are presenting at the time of injury. If the wound is extensive enough as mentioned before and direct pressure or pressure bandages are not working, you've kind of runaout of options at that point. Kind of sick humor here, but we have a saying in the EMS world that "all bleeding will eventually stop" I know that as far as me personally, I would want someone to try every avenue available and deal with the possible consequences later if any arise. If you happen to find some info as far as the quik clot causing other systemic clot issues after application, please let me know so that I can forward that info to others that they may be aware also.

Thanks Brother

Doc C.
Back to top Go down
Defender
Defender

PostSubject: quik clot info   Medical Information EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 5:57 pm

I have found quick clot sponges both basic and the ones with the Silver anti-bacterial solution at Sportsmen Warehouse fairly cheap. The basic 25g was 8 or 9 bucks and the silver was 15. fairly cheap to include a couple of both in my Level1 and Level 2 kits.
Back to top Go down
militiamedic
Defender
Defender
militiamedic

PostSubject: Re: Medical Information   Medical Information EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 7:13 pm

Wow! That is great news! Thank you for passing that on. I'll definitely be getting some of that for my medical stock also.

Doc C.
Back to top Go down
1stmardiv
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Medical Information   Medical Information EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 8:29 am

Some input on infections would be a great addition here I think. How to identify them in the first stages, how to treat small cuts to stave off infection, and what to do after all of your manufactured antibiotics are all gone.
Back to top Go down
http://missourimilitia.com
Defender
Defender

PostSubject: Infections   Medical Information EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 9:35 am

I personally have never been a fan of antibiotics. Their over use and misuse has been a partial reason for the emergence of MRSA and other super-bugs. First stages is the red ring around the cut or affected area and it may feel warm or hot to the touch. May get a puss, ooze discharge. A couple days later much pain, swelling in the area, oozing discharge and a lot of redness. The redness may even expand and move up the limb toward the body. Untreated it could lead to higher body temps and flu like symptoms, gangrene of the limb and toxic sepsis (advanced).

Keep the cut clean, is the best. If you are out of any types of neosporin type ointment, I would recommend Honey, it is a bacterio-static. If you boil acorns or oak bark the leeched water is an astringent and can be used to clean the wound if it is not TOO deep. But the leechings only last about 24 hours before it goes bad.

Hope this helps. I know MILITIAMEDIC has good info as well, maybe he can add a few ideas.
Back to top Go down
militiamedic
Defender
Defender
militiamedic

PostSubject: Re: Medical Information   Medical Information EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 11:30 am

I agree that the overuse of antibiotics have contributed to the resistance of some bacteria, but they do still have their place in some situations. You are dead on (no pun intended) about keeping the wound clean first and foremost and letting the body's natural defenses do their job. When in the field and an injury occurs, getting the foreign material out of the wound is the first step in wound recovery. I like the fact that you mentioned the honey, acorns and oak bark for wound application.

I read a study done in europe a while back where they were using white granulated table sugar made into a thick paste and applied directly to the wound in addition to dressing the outer wound after surgery, and they had phenomenal success in achieving infection control. Every 24 hours, the wound would be irrigated to remove and debride all the nasty stuff and any residual sugar left over and then again repacked and dressed until healing was complete.

The good thing about the granulated sugar, is that those small packs like you get at the restaurant can be carried right in your IFAK in a zip-lock bag for use at any time to get started right away after wound cleansing. Also, if the wound is deep or a puncture, the sugar can be diluted into water and irrigated down into the injury with a syringe and IV catheter without the needle in place and can still hopefully achieve the same results.

Certainly it cannot do any more damage than has already been done by the initial injury. I sure am glad to see people thinking on their feet, and those of us who are medics, (irrelevant as to what branch of the service you are from) we would like to think we are invincible, but unfortunately we get hurt also and sometimes need help from those that we so desire to take care of. We Corpsman have a saying that "We would go through the very gates of @#!*% to get to a wounded Marine"

It is worthy to say though, that you must be careful with those who are diabetic and keep a close watch on their blood sugar levels as not to overload them and put them in a hyperglycemic state (high blood sugar levels) which is detrimental to them. Of course, for these people, by doing nothing, their wounds will deteriorate much more rapidly than those who are relatively healthy to begin with. Not saying don't do it, just be careful and keep an eye on them. This would be one situation where antibiotics would come in if they are available.

Just want to remind everyone, that all advice and procedures listed in the medical section are for TEOTWAWKI situations only unless otherwise authorized for use in the civilian sector. That is my disclaimer. Obviously what you do behind your own closed doors is YOUR OWN BUSINESS, NOT THE GOVERNMENTS!!!

I would sincerely hate to see someone get hung out to dry because some @$$hole government bureaucrat decides that someone is practicing medicine without a license by using these procedures in peacetime. If you are certified in the civilian world, use only those skills that are inside of your scope of practice and certainly not outside your area of jurisdiction while we are still at relative peace.

Enough Said!!

Hope that helps brother!

Doc C.

Last edited by militiamedic on Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
militiamedic
Defender
Defender
militiamedic

PostSubject: Re: Medical Information   Medical Information EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 1:00 pm

Also, don't forget, you can still get Tetracycline in the capsule form anywhere that sells fish supplies and Penicillin G (G form is a safe and preferred strain for use in humans) at most farm supply stores as well as the needed equipment for administering the medication.

Sulfa and other high potency antibiotics are still pretty locked up as far as the civilian market is concerned. I wouldn't even know where to begin to look for them. Again CYA as mentioned in the earlier posting.

Doc C.
Back to top Go down
cowboy
Commander
Commander
cowboy

PostSubject: Re: Medical Information   Medical Information EmptyThu Aug 26, 2010 7:52 pm

excellent information Doc!
thanks for all ya do cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.survivaltimes.org/forums/index.php
militiamedic
Defender
Defender
militiamedic

PostSubject: Re: Medical Information   Medical Information EmptyThu Aug 26, 2010 8:23 pm

You are most certainly welcome my friend! We are all in this together and definitely need to get squared away now rather than later.

Also, Thanks for all that you do and have done for us already here in Kansas Brother.

Semper Fi

Doc C.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Medical Information   Medical Information Empty

Back to top Go down

Medical Information
Page 1 of 1